Radon is a colorless, odorless, soil gas that can seep into homes through small spaces and openings, such as cracks, concrete, floor drains, sump pump openings, wall/floor joints in basements, and pores in walls. Radon can also enter a home through well water.
According the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon is a cancer-causing natural radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Its presence in your home can pose a danger to your family’s health. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America and claims about 20,000 lives annually. Some areas in the U.S. have a much higher concentration of Radon than others. The EPA estimates that nearly 1 out of every 15 homes in the U.S. has an elevated level of Radon.
A simple and inexpensive test done by a professional home inspector can determine if Radon is a problem in your home.
Visit Home Team Inspection to learn more!